Friday, August 30, 2013

Why Lie?

Many, many years ago a friend of mine called me up all excited and wanted to know if I could give her a ride to pick up her new car.  How exciting!  Well, of course I could.  We picked up the car and she immediately decided we had to go somewhere.  However, we had to work in a couple hours so it couldn't be far.  We followed each other to Taco Bell for a late lunch/early dinner. 

Later that evening, we were at work and her boyfriend of the moment (who later went on to become husband of the moment, but that's another story for another time) stopped by.  He talked to both of us and in the course of the conversation I mentioned that we had lunch at Taco Bell.  She immediately piped up, "That was the other day, Silly!" which of course confused me.  We had to wrangle that elephant in the room for awhile before I realized she was trying to lie to him. 

I finally got it and played along.  He had to know it was bogus though.  He was an idiot, but not stupid.  I always wondered about that and what was the big deal that we had lunch at Taco Bell.  We left the dealership and both showed up at the restaurant around the same time so she had no time for nefariousness.  She wasn't on any diets that eliminated Taco Bell and obviously TB wasn't the issue as she was okay with him thinking we'd eaten there days earlier.  We left there the same time with enough time to go home and get ready for work.  We were both there on time, so what was the big deal??!  Why lie?

I guess I never asked her about it later or if I did I never got a satisfactory answer.  My friend wasn't one of those people who has to lie about everything, so that wasn't it.  The only thing I could think of is that her boyfriend was an idiot (as noted before) so she felt superior pulling one over on him.

The Fine Print: Stamps by Paper Smooches, papers by Stampin' Up along with the green faux brad, the gray faux brads at the top are paper hole-punched and covered in that clear stuff that has a bunch of different names depending on whose brand you buy.

1 comment:

Di said...

How terribly peculiar - she says in a very English way :) As you say PJ, why lie? Perhaps they were going out for a special meal that evening and she didn't want him to know she already ate?

Super card and I love the way you made those brads as a finishing touch.

Hugs, Di xx